Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
Gaming PC: Under $1,000 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

Gaming PC: Under $1,000

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

Gaming PC: Under $1,000 Empty
PostSubject: Gaming PC: Under $1,000   Gaming PC: Under $1,000 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Thought I would share some thoughts on budget gaming Very Happy
Most people who play computer games tend to use their folks PCs, which usually don't have any serious potential for gaming.

The premise for this was to get people setup in gaming, and possibly just to upgrade the major components. SPEED is the name of the game. So there wont be a Case, Optic Drives (CD/DVD Drives), Sound cards, monitors or keyboard/mice. Just the basic essentials.

CoolerMaster eXtreme Power-Plus 650W $95.00
AMD Phenom II X4 965 B.E. (3.2GHz, Quad-Core) $169.00
Gigabyte GA-890FX-UD5 (Will support Crossfire @ 16x/16x for future-proofing) $209.00
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 RAM $69.00
XFX Radeon 6870 1GB B.E. $319.00

That's a fairly serious set of gear. The mainboard can support a 2nd 6870 in a couple years time if you need some more grunt. The 965 B.E. is about the best you'll get for your buck, the next step is the 6-cores and you're looking at $250+ for those bad boys. The PSU I can vouch as being good quality, I own one myself before and has 100,000 MTBF (/24h a day = 4,167 days of continuous use!)

Total cost before shipping is only $861.00
There's still enough for a case if you desire, maybe the Corsair 600T Graphite? Or a decent sound card, but the on-board sound is good enough. Lastly, you COULD get the ThermalTake Frio and go overclocking. The magazine I read today had AM3 CPUs idle AT 11 DEGREES! Insanity. Was 4 lower than the H70. Under massive loads, was sub-20! And only $76.00 ($937.00 with it, and ~$40 shipping, you're still under $1k)

This is going to be a first in a string of posts. Have a 1.5k gaming rig, some specific SLI/Crossfire rigs, maybe some LAN-Boxs since you fellas LAN sometimes (there some impressive cases around that can support some huge GPUs in there) and maybe have a "Chill Gaming: Gamers Wet Dream" competition.
I'll put up my near-mint 4890 XFX Radeon that has seen sub-500 hours of useage. Currently sits in storage, in original box with all the pieces in it.
Back to top Go down

Gaming PC: Under $1,000
Page 1 of 1