Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
Map Making I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

Map Making

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Juff
Admin
Juff

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 pm

I recently started using "Source SDK" and making maps for CS:S and I chucked together a map some of use could use for LAN, its very basic but I have tried it out with Bots and it is a fun map, anyway I made a quick Video Tutorial of it here it is if your interested:

Back to top Go down
https://chillgaming.forumotion.net
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm

I use to make a few maps back in the day, 5star came to mind.

Personally, a map is a reflection of the style of CS you love to play.
They built iceworld because they want hard and fast gameplay, they made jump maps because people liked to jump and they made soccer maps (where I Jerms actually lol) because we wanted to knife balls around the place.

A great map has 3 things;
(a) Chokepoint: A place where all the action that concerns winning or loosing runs through this place, it can be a room or section of map but to win the round, controlling that chokepoint is vital. It also centralises play and stop spawn camping (like in dust lol)
(b) Fluid balance: Needs a flow, going from a room to a desert isnt good "Chi" as they say. Have consistant mapping throughout, if its a underground base; dont put a freaking car in a room.
(c) Stratergy: Every map has a stratergy, even iceworld. If its a bomb map, make snipe points to protect your bombsite. If its a hostage rescue, put them behind alot of barracades.

Majority of people who play dont see the difference, but a great mapper doesnt need to make his greatest tweaks even known.
Lastly, make a map YOU want to play, not how someone wants you to play. Notice the wording, if youre making a map for a friend or clan mate, thats different. But making a map that youll play makes the process of making better!
Back to top Go down
Madness

Madness

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Havnt got CSS, But i have made maps for Alien swarm on hammer (part of SDK).
The thing that gets me with the SDK is my objectives dont work?
Back to top Go down
http://proninjas.net16.net
Juff
Admin
Juff

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm

vanhelsing wrote:

Personally, a map is a reflection of the style of CS you love to play.

Couldn't agree more here, I actually got the idea for this map, form a similar style map a few of us frequently LAN on Vietcong.

This was the first map I've ever made, and I currently have another one in the working but its kinda of an 'Ideas' map one i just test different things on see how they work.

I really want to create a map that requires more strategy, and teamwork to be the deciding factor.

madness wrote:

The thing that gets me with the SDK is my objectives dont work?

I am only new to using Source SDK so I cant help you out with that but try going on the Steam forums for AS map making, or Source SDK. I think there may be a couple of beginners guides if not on steam look it up on youtube I know there is a few youtube videos that are like basic CS:S map making so yeah give that a go.
Back to top Go down
https://chillgaming.forumotion.net
Madness

Madness

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah their are Turtorials, but none of them are helpful, and dont work
Back to top Go down
http://proninjas.net16.net
Sponsored content

Map Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map Making   Map Making I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Map Making
Page 1 of 1