Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight Empty
PostSubject: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 7:38 am

Today, is going to be a program that is very near and dear to my heart. I've been a user for about 7 years now, specifically been with VMWare since 2007 and it was introduced to me by my CISCO Networking teacher.

Virtualisation allows your computer to run a multitude of programs, operating systems and applications without having be worried about cross-system or dual-boot requirements.

What to have a mac on your PC? Simple, install Mac OSX in WMWare, connect via ethernet cable and bam! online Mac (Valid CD Key required for Max OSX since it's a legit tool)

What is VMWare?

VMWare is a part freeware, part licenced program that allows migration to another computer system without needing a dual-boot.

In essense, I run a Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate machine, and some games don't run well in Win7. I can VMWare boot up Windows 95, and play Flight Simulation 95, and uses minimal resources.

To the moment, WiFi hasn't been fixed. Yet ethernet does allow internet connection, so you can effectively run TWO! Operating Systems. You can Import an Image into VMWare and load your old systems configuration whilst upgrading the main OS to Windows 7 as an example.

To quote the VMWare Website;
VMWare Website wrote:
How Does Virtualization Work?
The VMware virtualization platform is built on a business-ready architecture. Use software such as VMware vSphere and VMware ESXi (a free download) to transform or “virtualize” the hardware resources of an x86-based computer—including the CPU, RAM, hard disk and network controller—to create a fully functional virtual machine that can run its own operating system and applications just like a “real” computer. Each virtual machine contains a complete system, eliminating potential conflicts. VMware virtualization works by inserting a thin layer of software directly on the computer hardware or on a host operating system. This contains a virtual machine monitor or “hypervisor” that allocates hardware resources dynamically and transparently. Multiple operating systems run concurrently on a single physical computer and share hardware resources with each other. By encapsulating an entire machine, including CPU, memory, operating system, and network devices, a virtual machine is completely compatible with all standard x86 operating systems, applications, and device drivers. You can safely run several operating systems and applications at the same time on a single computer, with each having access to the resources it needs when it needs them.

Where do I get it?

VMWare Player is the easiest of the range to get novice users into the fold. It's the easiest way to run multiple OS and works with Chrome OS, Linux/Unix, Windows and Mac. VMWare player creates an isolated virtual machine that won't effect your main OS if someone goes horribly wrong, just reload the last good image and you're back online within minutes!

What do I need?

Ideally, the latest OS you can find, Win7 uses little resources when in idle, and will get better potentially avaliable resources to run your virtual machine.

I currently run Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate, and have successfully virtualised;

[tr]
Windows 7Professional, Ultimatex86/x64
Windows VistaBusiness, Enterprisex86/x64
Windows XPProfessionalx86/x64
Windows Server2003, 2008x64
Windows SQLServer 2008, Server 2008 R2, Enterprisex64
Windows Server-basedHost Integration, BizTalk, Exchange, Hyper-V, Webx64 Server 2008-based
Microsoft Office ServersCommunications Server, Project Server, SharePoint Serverx86/x64
IBMOS/2 Warp2.0
Mac OS X ServerOSX 10.5x86
Ubuntu9.04x86
Astaro
Fedora 11
Linux Mint

That was just a brief taste of the large world of virtual technology and that's just what I run/use and work with on a nearly daily base.
Also, you can run millions of applications inside these as well, so long as there is the appropriate image saved on your hard-drive, you can also load these from the CD/DVD if you have the proper drivers installed.

Microsoft Expression Studio 3
Microsoft Office Professional 2007
Microsoft Visio Professional 2007
Microsoft Project Professional
Microsoft SharePoint 2007 (Designer, Services)
Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2008 Professional (.NET Academic, .NET Teaching, .NET Professional, J# .NET, SourceSafe 6.0d)
Windows Embedded - Corporate Edition 6.0
Windows SDKs for x64/x86 (Software Development Kits)

Overall
An incredibly awesome program that will allow you to keep a single machine, yet have several computer systems on the one HDD. There are some limitations such as having a great processor to handle the cycle request, and the HDD to store all the data that'll accumlate over the time.

Of all the above systems I own, about 7TBs is the mark. But to run 2-3, you only need 100-200GB. Remember to have space for all the files/folders/games that you'll port across, but if you run out. VMWare has options to allows you to increase Virtual-Hard Drive space.

Regards, Jean"van helsing le dominique" Gustrove
Back to top Go down
Jerms

Jerms

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:39 am

Wow, that's fair awesome. I would like to give that a try one day...maybe When I upgrade to Windows 7, I might have a Linux image or something. For shits and gigs. Thanks for link ;D
Back to top Go down
http://www.xfire.com/profile/deadlyfunzo/
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:53 am

Jerms wrote:
Wow, that's fair awesome. I would like to give that a try one day...maybe When I upgrade to Windows 7, I might have a Linux image or something. For shits and gigs. Thanks for link ;D

You can run Windows 7 now, VMWare works with all OS systems. I can probably find a Win7 Image and put it up somewhere.

Download VMWare Player (or Workstation) and you just add the Zip file into a directory where you load the image from (such as C:/Documents and Settings/VMWare/Windows 7) and it shold boot, I can't recall 100% if its a clean or if thhe Key was always placed in -- Im assuming since I wrote it as clean, the Key has been inputted.
Back to top Go down
Jerms

Jerms

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:56 am

If you are implying that I can be running 64bit Windows 7 for free...I'm interested.
Back to top Go down
http://www.xfire.com/profile/deadlyfunzo/
Madness

Madness

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 12:05 pm

lol so would i
Back to top Go down
http://proninjas.net16.net
Lachiee94

Lachiee94

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Torrent the shit out of W7.
Back to top Go down
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Lachiee94 wrote:
Torrent the shit out of W7.

Possibly, but don't connect to the net. lol.
I might, just might, maybe, just maybe, have some spare x86 Win7 keys laying around...
Maybe if we hold a June competition I can use that as a prize.

If the CIA comes over though, this thread never exsisted lol Wink
Nah, my keys are legit.
Back to top Go down
Madness

Madness

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 10:09 am

So are every key i won, just i dont know who owns some of them xD
Back to top Go down
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Nobody has even played around with this I bet? lol
Back to top Go down
Madness

Madness

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm

you probably bet correctly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight   VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VMWare Workstation --- Software Spotlight
Page 1 of 1