Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
Premier! Van's Top10! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

Premier! Van's Top10!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

Premier! Van's Top10! Empty
PostSubject: Premier! Van's Top10!   Premier! Van's Top10! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I spent the good part of the past few days thinking of making a top10, but that would be *WAY* to broad (consoles, pc, mods, series, yearly releases etc) and to tighten this down a little. I'll enpart a new segment every week (maybe closer to 10 days or something with work commits).

So, here it is!

Van's Top5 Sports Games!
(Yes, 5, I know, I have to write short reviews/summaries so its not easy writing 10 lol)

Honorable Mention(s):
NFL Street
FIFA Football
NBA Live
MLB: The Show!

5. Era: 1999-2002 American Football Games (in general, Madden, NFL Blitz, 2k Sports)
The scene is set, 2001, Barry Sanders has retires. The NFL world is shaken to its core, Peyton Manning is the newest kid on the block after telling Indianapolis that not taking him would result in him kicking their ass'es for the next decade. I have to think that the greatest feeling came from blitz, the whistle blows, plays over. You blindside the fuck out of some random opponent, the ambulance comes out (usually taking out 3/4 of the team) and takes the player off. I remember glitching the game once, my offense had only 10 players!! Everyone else was dead (or being crushed by oncoming ambulances) and the hilarity that ensues.
2k5 was a modern marval, since 2005, Madden has progressively gotten worse and worse and yet 2k5 remains ageless. The motions were fluid and the actions felt life like (being a player for several years whilst in America) and proper presentation style, which EA failed horribly like a sickly dog that wanders the neighbourhood looking for a home.

4. Jona Lomu Rugby (Classico!! - Playstation 1)
Can't have sports games without the big man himself, Lomu scared wingers across a planet. Had it all, speed, size, tribal tats and some triangle muff of a haircut that made him look more like a oversized midget playing rugby with other midgets! A regular freakshow, I loved this game because the kicking mechanic...WAS DIFFICULT! Although it didnt stop me from slotting 60m penalties from the sideline, I use to score (on purpose) in the corner, use maximum curve, aim across the field and watch the ball sail over the black dot.
There was 6 nations, Tri-nations and the World Cup! Taking minnows, Argentina to the semi-finals was a highlight (beat South Africa and Australia in consecutive knockout games).
Overall, Find this game and play it!! It's worth the second-hand EB prices just to get a taste of epic 1997 greatness. Whilst not as influencial in my gaming history, but a game i absolutely adore none-the-less.

3. LMA Manager 2004 (Playstation 2)
Another game, that will endlessly bore people to the ends of their sanity. Nothing like a simulation management style game to get people to sleep. There is not FIFA Street stylings here, a basic numbers and stratergy game, but with some very impressive upsides. It features over 10 countries and playable as a manager in several tiers of football, with real players, teams and loads of ownership possibilities. Playing several times and receiving different outcomes at almost every turn kept me playing for me, the chase of the 'Perfect' season was always elusive unless you sold out and took charge of Manchester United! lol!
Overall, there are better iterations of football I love more (FM2008, CM2010 etc) but this game will forever hold a special place, as I devoted countless hours between Metal Gear Solid, Madden and LMA Manager.

2. Madden NFL !!! (2004-06, Playstation 2)
Probably the most hours I have ever spent on a game in terms of yearly releases, according to the "EA Tracker" that was in 2004-06 (in 2004 at least) I amassed over 1,500hrs in a single year! I played the 30-season franchise mode at least 3 time through with multiple teams. My favourite was 2005, the year of the 'Playmaker' even in Madden10 I still use the playmaker mechanic all the time. Probably not a game that 'Aussies' would get into, but if you enjoyed watching the NFL, you'll enjoy playing Madden, if not for Franchise mode, then the many various mini-games, camps and drills that are also packed in.
Overall, if you own a Wii, this game is hilarious fun (have played on a Wii, PS2, PC and Xbox360) and if you owned a PS3, buy the PS2 version for a while, the game does not have the greatest graphics but the game can be played more realistically and would reccomend it to anyone willing to try it out!

1. Tecmo Bowl !!!
The first ever sports game I remember playing, yes I played this in 1998 (but it was a friends, and was very new to sports games at 11!)
I had no clue who the players were at the time, the kicking animation was so basic and passing involved using 2 buttons! But I was instantly hooked, with new releases on the Nintendo DS in the past couple years I would suggest picking one up or pinching a friends for a weekend.
Overall, the animation (and cut-scenes when you scored) were kick arse and for some fun, check out this Youtube Video

Next Installment?
Top5 Racing Games.
Including one surprise, nobody will ever guess!
Comments below, what did i miss out? Dont like Tecmo Bowl at the top?

Last Note:
Madden 2002-2004 is responsible for a lot of my musical taste.
Sample:
Mos Def "Mathmatics"
Dry Cell "Body Crumbles"
Epidemic "Walk Away"
Talib Kweli & HiTek "Down for the Count"
Nappy Roots "Awnaw"
Back to top Go down
Juff
Admin
Juff

PostSubject: Re: Premier! Van's Top10!   Premier! Van's Top10! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Quote :
Can't have sports games without the big man himself, Lomu scared wingers across a planet. Had it all, speed, size, tribal tats and some triangle muff of a haircut that made him look more like a oversized midget playing rugby with other midgets! A regular freakshow, I loved this game because the kicking mechanic...WAS DIFFICULT! Although it didnt stop me from slotting 60m penalties from the sideline, I use to score (on purpose) in the corner, use maximum curve, aim across the field and watch the ball sail over the black dot.
There was 6 nations, Tri-nations and the World Cup! Taking minnows, Argentina to the semi-finals was a highlight (beat South Africa and Australia in consecutive knockout games).
Overall, Find this game and play it!! It's worth the second-hand EB prices just to get a taste of epic 1997 greatness. Whilst not as influencial in my gaming history, but a game i absolutely adore none-the-less.

If you ask me the greatest Sports game ever made I have played ridiculous amounts of this game, I fucking loved it I don't think any other rugby or sports game will ever beat this for me.

Quote :
Probably not a game that 'Aussies' would get into

You would probably be surprised at the amount of my friends that love Madden its actually a little bit weird. I don't mind it but personally could never get into it.
Back to top Go down
https://chillgaming.forumotion.net
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

PostSubject: Re: Premier! Van's Top10!   Premier! Van's Top10! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Juff wrote:
Quote :

If you ask me the greatest Sports game ever made I have played ridiculous amounts of this game, I fucking loved it I don't think any other rugby or sports game will ever beat this for me.

Quote :
Probably not a game that 'Aussies' would get into

You would probably be surprised at the amount of my friends that love Madden its actually a little bit weird. I don't mind it but personally could never get into it.

1. I loved Jonah (still got 2 discs, LOL!) i remember being able to slot kicks from the sideline, 50m back with maxmimum wind. Thats how hardcore I got with it. I played Rugby's other titles. NRL 1 & 2, and I have to say NRL 1 was very new and great potential but #2 killed it for me (nothing innovative) and #3 is Wii only...WTF is with that? Even then (here-say this is) I've heard its crap-house to use the knum-chucks for NRL 3.

2. I realise most would probably 'play' Madden, I guess I'm totally hardcore on Madden (played every year since 2000, and ive bought all the way back to 1993, and own 1989-1991, can't find 1992) and I wonder how serious they get into it. I rock full 32-team franchises I control, I import the NCAA Draft Classes (unless you have a NTSC playstation you'll never get those since NCAA Football isn't released on PAL-formats unless its changed for Madden 10) and pain-stakingly re-name all the players or cop out and download a files from Operation Sports (When I was really active, it was MaddenMania) and its already down.

I'll give you a hint, Gran Turismo is NOT #1 racer of all time lol. And theres one simple reason why its not. (I've hate to admit, 100% completed GT1-4 and done all the challenges on GT5)
For the GT fan, go to GTPlanet.net and its about the best website for all thing GT-based. Though, it's not great for GT1, GT2 stuff since I assume it got shelved to hold more room for newer topics but has great GT4 tuner garages I love trying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Premier! Van's Top10!   Premier! Van's Top10! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Premier! Van's Top10!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Game related :: What's it like?-
Jump to: