Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
Software Spotlight!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

Software Spotlight!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vanhelsing

vanhelsing

Software Spotlight!!! Empty
PostSubject: Software Spotlight!!!   Software Spotlight!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 3:42 pm

As close to daily as I can do (we'll see how I fare to start with) I shall post daily about a new software, I might skips days as I might not have a new piece of software.

What'll probably happen after a week, I might encompass just general computer stuff and cut down to a few times a week, this might turn into a real time sink. I do something similiar at Sharky Forums, and honestly, I slap about 10-15Hrs a week on just this style lol.

Anyways...Off We GO!!!

*FANCY BANNER* Belarc Advisor

Where do I get it?

Belarc's Website!
Download Size: 2217 KB

Why do I need it?

There isn't an emphasis on 'need' but I feel its a very powerful tool for computer knowledge. It's a very simple program, download, then open the program.

You can also save this to HTLM or TXT documents, so you may print them out and brag to your friends about your knowledge of your own computer! (It's quite detailed! More so than Windows Device Manager ever will be)

What does it do?

Belarc Website wrote:

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

What will I need?

Opertaing Systems - Win7, Vista, XP, 2000/ME, NT, 98, 95.
Architechture - Windows 7/Server 2008 and Vista on both x64/x32
Internet Browsers - IE7 & IE8, FireFox, Safari, Opera - Confirmed

What happens next?

The default viewing is in HTML, your default web browser will open and display a multitude of information.

Operating System
Computer Name
CPU/Motherboard Information
Hardware Information
Network Information

The second section (after the Network Information) will display what updates you are missing from your computer -- this will be accurate if you have the latest version from Belarc themselves and works all the way upto Windows 7 x64 and Server 2008 -- I personally own both systems!

The third section is a list of all software applications currently installed (and their appropriate CD Keys) I'll provide an example below.

Code:

Microsoft - Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.0) 12345-***-*******-35133

It's a generic CD Key, but I'm being safe about it lol. Below is the software tracker, there is a key and will show what/if/when you used your software last. It's a great tool if you're low on HDD space and need some space as well.

The last section has the hotfixes for the softwares where applicable also, again another example:

Code:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
    KB970892  on 6/12/2009  (details...)

Ta-Da!!!
Anyone who wants to try this, click the link above! (Or Click HERE!!!)
Any comments/reviews/thoughts you have, feel free to leave here.
I'll post a new thread for each application when I write them (shooting for daily, but maybe unrealistic due to time constraints) and hopefully you enjoy them!
Write your own maybe? Suggest something for me to try/review?

Regards, Jean "van helsing le dominique" Gustrove
Back to top Go down

Software Spotlight!!!
Page 1 of 1